Alois Lukan and Olga Meditz grew up in an area called Gottchee in Austria, which
is now known as Yugoslavia. This was an area similar to Hawley in that it too was
mountainous and rural. The families knew each other and as neighboring farmers, Alois
would on occasion help the Meditz family on their farm. Alois immigrated to British
Colombia, Canada in 1927 and Olga immigrated to New York City in 1937. In 1938 Alois
became aware that Olga had arrived in New York the prior year so he went to visit
her. They began to see each other regularly as the distance would allow, and in 1939
Alois asked her to marry him. They married in February of 1940. They returned to
Canada, had two children and spent 11 years there raising their family. In 1951 they
returned to the New York area and began to look for property in the hopes that they
would find something that was reminiscent of their homeland back in Europe. Then
in June of 1951 they purchased the land that is now known as Lukan’s Farm Resort,
and that dream came true. With the rolling hills, rich soil for gardening, and miles
of countryside far from the bustling city, Alois and Olga found their home away from
home and turned it into a resort that would enable their guests to also feel as if
they were in their home away from home.
Lukans has continued to be family owned and operated through multiple generations
and is still providing guests with the feeling of the comforts of their own home
through their family style meals and personalized service.
The original “Main House” circa 1951, which is now the main dining room and also
the office where guests check in for their stay.